During the winter months bugs are looking for warm and dry places to hide away from the cold days and nights. Here are 10 ways you can winterize your home to keep bugs out. Doing this could help anytime of the year!
1. For the winter put your vegetable garden to bed.
2. Clean out your gutters and downspouts, which are good hiding spots for bugs.
3. Cut down the plants around your house. Every fall cut down the plants around your home. Like with the garden, the dead plants attract bugs. Cutting down certain plants also helps with root development so it’s a win-win, because who doesn’t like more blooms in the spring?
4. Store firewood away from your house. Logs are like smorgasbord to bugs, so it’s best to keep them farther away.
5. Seal any cracks in your foundation with weather-resistant sealant. By sealing the cracks you are reducing pests’ entry into your house.
6. Store trash and recycling containers, away from your house and make sure the containers are tightly sealed. That way you’re eliminating the all-you-can-eat buffet for bugs.
7. Check for colonies of insects and eliminate them. Call Bugyman and make an appointment to inspect your home will help keep these insects at bay.
8. If you leave window screens on year-round, make sure there are no holes or gaps.
9. Install weather stripping around doors and windows. You’re doing double duty by investing in weather stripping because you’ll be keeping bugs out and keeping warm air in and cold air out.
10. Make sure attic vents are sealed tightly.
Hopefully by doing these ten things, bugs and other pests will move along and seek accommodations elsewhere. Unless you’d like more houseguests to keep you company during the year.